Australia vs Sri Lanka was the battle for number 2 slot in their pool at SCG, Australia. Winning the toss, Australia opted to bat first and lost both their openers under 10 overs. Smith & Clarke made a solid base for a big score. They both scored fifties & added 134 runs off 140 balls for 3rd wicket before they got dismissed in quick succession. Maxwell came in 32nd over when team score was 175/4 and snatched the match from Sri Lanka well supported by Watson’s 41 balls 67 who got some runs after some recent failures. Maxwell played superbly to outplay Sri Lanka and scored his maiden ODI hundred after being dismissed 3 times in nervous 90’s in his ODI career. He struck 10 fours & 4 sixes in his amazing innings of 102 off 53 balls. Australia blasted 215 runs in last 20 overs and posted the mammoth total of 376 in 50 overs.
Chasing 350+ in ODIs is never easy but Sri Lanka started the innings on a highly positive note. After losing Thirimanne early in the innings, Dilshan & Sangakkara did a strong counter attack & started smashing all Australian bowlers all over the park. Dilshan created history during his innings of 62 off 60 balls by smashing 6 fours off 6 balls in the 6th over of the match bowled by Johnson and Sangakkara continued his dream run in this world & scored the 3rd consecutive hundred.
They both added 130 runs for 2nd wicket before Dilshan got LBW out. Sri Lanka found themselves in trouble when they lost Mahela & Sangakkara in quick succession. Then came another heroic effort who suddenly changed the game for Sri Lanka by Dinesh Chandimal. He scored fabulous 24 balls 52 with 8 fours & 1 six which ended in a very tragic way as he got retired hurt due to hamstring injury.
All Sri Lankan hopes were shattered when skipper Matthews was caught behind in the 42nd over. Australia wrapped up the lower order quickly & bundled Sri Lanka on 312. Faulkner took 3 wickets but the main star was Starc who gave only 29 runs in his 8.2 overs in such a high scoring game & also struck 2 wickets. Though Australia emerged as winners by 64 runs but the way Sri Lanka gave a fight in front of such a humongous total. Well done Sri Lanka!
Man of the Match – Glenn Maxwell
Stats of the match –
- Sri Lanka & Australia played 9 matches in world cups in which Australia is ahead with 7-1 & 1 is no result.
- Glenn Maxwell scored his first ODI century & it was the 2nd fastest in world cup history. Record, 50 balls by Kevin O’Brein (2011).
- It was the fastest century for Australia in ODIs. Previous record, 57 balls by Faulkner (2013).
- Sangakkara scored his 3rd consecutive century, 7th overall & 1st in world cup to do so.
- He reached 14,000 ODI runs, only 2nd batsmen after Sachin to do so.
- He became only the 4th batsmen after Mark Waugh (1996), Ganguly (2003) & Hayden (2007) to score 3 ton in one edition.
- 25 centuries have been scored in this world cup which is most in a single edition. Previous record – 24 in 2011.
- Chandimal scored 22 balls fifty which is fastest world cup fifty by an Asian.
- Sri Lanka became the first team to score 300+ against Australia in world cups.
- Only 2 teams lost the match after scoring 300+ in while chasing & both came in this edition. Previous was Zimbabwe – 326 vs Ireland.