Bangladesh & England battled in a crucial POOL A match at Adelaide, Australia. It was a must-win game for England in which they won the toss & decided to bowl first. Anderson started well for England & dismissed both the openers within 3 overs.
Then Mahmudullah played the innings of his life as he became the pivot around which Bangladesh’s innings revolved. First he added 86 runs with Sarkar for 3rd wicket & then he shared 139 runs stand with Rahim for 5th wicket. Mahmudullah 103 (138) scored his maiden ODI ton, well supported by Rahim 89 (77). Bangladesh scored 275 runs for 5 wickets in their 50 overs.
England got a good start as Ian Bell scored a much needed fifty. He added 43 runs with Moeen Ali, 54 runs with Hales & 23 runs with Root before he got caught behind by Rubel followed by Morgan who scored another duck. England found themselves in deep trouble when they lost Taylor & Root in quick succession.
Equation came to 95 runs in last 10 overs with 4 wickets in hand. This was the time when Joss Buttler’s put aa heroic effort for his team and scored 65 runs off 52 balls with 6 fours & 1 six before he got dismissed followed by a controversial run out of Jordan. Woakes continued the fight by scoring 40 balls 42, but it was the 48th over in which Rubel dismissed Broad & Anderson and Bangladesh qualified for knockouts first time in World Cups. With this win by Bangladesh, England got eliminated & New Zealand, Australia, Sri Lanka & Bangladesh officially qualified from POOL A.
Man of the Match – Mahmudullah
Stats of the match:-
- Bangladesh & England played 3 matches in world cups in which Bangladesh is ahead with 2-1.
- Mahmudullah became the first Bangladeshi batsman to score a hundred in the world cup.
- Eoin Morgan scored his 4th duck this year which is 2nd most in a single year. Record is of 5 by Mike Brearley.
- It was Bangladesh’s 11th win in world cups, 5th against a test-playing nation, 2 times against England & once against India, SA & Pak each.
- It was the first time that 4 Asian teams qualified for knockouts in world cups.
- In ODIs when Bangladesh scored 275+, they won on 10 occasions & lost 4 times (1 time against Pak & 3 vs India).