INDIA vs IRELAND, a POOL B match at Hamilton, New Zealand where Ireland won the toss & opted to bat first. They got a really good start as Porterfield & Sterling played Indian pacers quite well.
They added 89 runs in 15 overs for the opening wicket before Sterling got caught out by Ashwin. Dhoni soon realized that spinners are the key on this wicket and slowly slowly India started dominating the match. Raina & Ashwin claimed the figures of 40/1 & 38/2 in their full quota respectively. When Mohit Sharma dismissed Porterfield 67 (93) on the team score of 145 in 32 overs, Ireland was heading towards 300+ but after this wicket Irish batsmen struggled to form a partnership. They kept losing wickets at regular intervals, it was only Niall O’Brien who scored run a ball 75 and took his team to a respectable total of 259. Shami took 3 wickets & now has 12 wickets in this world cup.
Indian openers made this chase an easy one as Rohit & Dhawan shared 174 runs stand for the opening wicket. Rohit scored a fifty & Dhawan want one step ahead to score a brilliant hundred. India achieved the target in 37 overs with 8 wickets in hand, Kohli & Rahane remained not out on 44 & 33 respectively. With 5 wins in row, India officially sealed the top most position in POOL B.
Man of the Match – Shikhar Dhawan
Stats of the match –
- India won all 3 ODIs he played against Ireland, 2 in world cups.
- M.S.Dhoni played his 175th ODI as captain, most by an Indian.
- 259 is the highest score against India in this world cup till now.
- First time India bowl out the opposition 5 times in a row. India took 50 wickets in 5 matches.
- Dhawan scored his 8th ODI ton, 2nd in this world cup.
- 174 runs stand between Rohit & Dhawan is highest opening stand in this world cup.
- It was India’s 9th consecutive win in world cups(2011-2015), levelled the record with West Indies(1975 -1979) and behind Australia 25 (1999-2011).
- Dhoni became the most successful captain for India in world cups with 12 wins, surpassed Kapil Dev 11 wins.