Auckland was all set to witness the contest between the two hosts and favourites to win this world cup, Australia & New Zealand. It was expected to be a nail biting finish and these two teams delivered the same. Australia decided to bat first and got a flying start with the run rate of over 10 before Finch was bowled out by Southee at the team score of 30/1 in 3rd over. Warner continued Aussie inning with Watson on the other side added 50 runs in the next 64 balls. After losing both of them in back to back deliveries, Australia team collapsed dramatically. They came to 106/9 in 22 overs from 80/1 in 13 overs.
Trent Boult showed some excellent piece of bowling and took his career best (5/27) to break the back bone of Aussie batting line up. Haddin was the lone fighter who took Australia to somewhat near a respectable total of 151. He scored 41 balls 43 and added 45 runs with Cummins for 10th wicket.
New Zealand got a flying start as McCullum fired all his cylinders and scored an amazing 21 balls fifty. He got he team to a commanding position of 78 runs in 8 over before he caught by Cummins. When the things were looking quite easy for the Kiwi team, Australia team showed that why they are 4 times World Cup Champions. Starc came out as a game changer who claimed the figures of 6/28. After McCullum’s wicket, Kiwi team struggled in making partnerships.
After 79/4, Williamson added 52 runs with Anderson for 5th wicket. When game was looking going towards New Zealand, Aussie again struck them hard. Kiwi team was 145/7 with Vettori & Williamson on the crease, first Cummins dismissed Vettori & in the next over, Starc dismissed 2 in 2 in his 3rd & 4th ball and Boult had to face the rest 2 deliveries. Everyone was at edge of their seats, Kiwi fans felt relieved when Boult successfully faced the last 2 balls. Williamson was at the other end to made sure that his team will win this low score thriller. He sealed the victory with an amazing six & became the first team to qualify for quarter finals. The tournament which is going towards batsmen’s way, good to see a bowler dominating match.
Man of the Match – Trent Boult
Stats of this match:-
- Out of 126 ODIs between these two teams, Australia is ahead with 85-35 while 6 remained No result.
- Out of 9 World Cup matches, Australia is ahead of 6-3.
- Boult claimed his career best of 5/27. His second spell’s figure was 5/1 in 3 overs.
- 80/1 to 106/9 is Australia’s worst 8 wickets collapse in ODI history.
- 45 runs stand between Haddin & Cummins is the 6th biggest 10th wickets stand in WCs & highest for Australia for this wicket.
- 151 was Australia’s joint 2nd lowest World Cup total after 129 vs India (1983).
- McCullum scored his fifty in 21 balls which is 3rd fastest in World Cups, first 2 also belongs to McCullum, 18 & 20 balls.
- Starc (6/28) took 6 wickets haul 2nd time in ODIs, first Aussie to do so.
- Starc took 35 matches to take 5 five-wicket haul in ODIs, 2nd fastest. Record – Waqar Younis – 26 matches.
- It was only 6th 1 wicket win in ODI history, 2nd in this World Cup.