New Zealand vs Bangladesh was their last league match at Hamilton, New Zealand. Both teams already qualified for the quarter finals but the match was important to decide the positions & fixtures of quarter finals. Winning the toss, New Zealand opted to field and according to their plan which they followed till now, they got 2 early wickets on the team score of mere 27 in 10 overs.
Then Sarkar & Mahmudullah came to rescue Bangladesh and added 90 runs for the 3rd wicket. Sarkar scored 51 off 58 balls and Mahmudullah achieved the bigger milestone & scored his 2nd consecutive ODI hundred. Bangladesh innings revolved around his unbeaten 128* off 123 balls with 12 fours & 3 sixes. Sabbir Rehman supported him quite well with his quick 23 balls 40 & added 78 runs for 6th wicket. Bangladesh scored 288 runs for the loss of 7 wickets in 50 overs and became the first team to score 250+ runs against Kiwi team in this world cup.
Chasing the total, hosts got the worst possible start when Shakib dismissed McCullum & Williamson in the 5th over. It was the time when New Zealand’s middle order came to the party as Guptill & Taylor added 131 runs for 3rd wicket. Guptill 105 (100) was a dominant partner as he scored his 6th ODI ton before Shakib caught him out.
Elliot came to the middle and Taylor also reached his fifty & things were looking easy for Kiwi team till then they lost Elliot & Taylor in quick succession. Corey Anderson released the pressure form his team by scoring 26 balls 39 with 3 fours & 3 sixes and made quite easy for his team. Though again Kiwi team got goosebumps when Nasir Hussain bowled him out leaving the equation 20 off 17 balls but Southee & Vettori kept their nerves and took their team home before 7 balls with 3 wickets in hands. New Zealand maintained their 100% winning record in this world cup & India vs Bangladesh quarter final is also confirmed.
Man of the Match – Martin Guptill
Stats of the match –
- New Zealand lost the last 7 ODIs played against Bangladesh, broke the streak today.
- Mahmudullah became the 2nd Bangladeshi batsman to score consecutive ODI centuries after Shahriar Nafees.
- It was the first century against NZ in this world cup. Now only India & UAE yet to concede a century.
- Williamson (1) scored his first one digit ODI score since dec 2013 (25 matches ago).
- Ross Taylor became 4th NZ batsman after Fleming, Astle & McCullum to reach 5000 ODI runs, he is fastest to do so- 144 innings.
- Guptill scored his 6th ODI ton, first in World Cups & first for NZ in this world cup.
- It was the highest chase by NZ in World Cups.