SOUTH AFRICA played their last league match against UAE at Wellington, New Zealand. UAE won the toss & opted to bowl first. South Africa lost Amla early but then Dekock & Rossouw added 68 runs for 2nd wicket. De kock who has a disastrous run in this world cup, scored his highest score in this tournament, 26. Rossouw also made a good 49 balls 43 but the main highlight of Proteas innings is the partnership between Miller & De villiers who added 108 runs for 4th wicket.
Miller made 48 balls 49 and the man in form ABD scored 99 off 82 balls with 6 fours & 4 sixes, unfortunately missed a well deserved ton just by 1 run. Behardien finished the innings in style as he scored 64 runs off 31 balls with 5 fours & 3 sixes and South Africa posted the total of 341 for 6 wickets in 50 overs.
UAE batting was all about Swapnil Patil who fought against the bowlers like Steyn, Morkel & Philander. He scored unbeaten 57 off 100 balls which was the only highlight as far as UAE batting is concerned. Morkel was good with his 23/2 in 10 overs, Philander & Mr. Allrounder ABD also struck 2-2 wickets each to dismiss UAE team on 195 in 48th over. With this 146 runs massive win, South Africa officially captured 2nd spot & likely to play with Sri Lanka in the quarter final.
Man of the Match – AB De Villiers
Stats of the match –
- It was South Africa’s 1000th Int. match.
- AB de Villiers became only 3rd batsman to dismiss on 99 in world cups after Duminy & Gilchrist.
- ABD has struck 20 sixes till now which is most in a single edition. Previous record – Hayden, 18 in 2007.
- It was South Africa’s 4th 300+ score in this world cup, record in a single edition is 5 by Australia in 2007.
- Shaiman Anwar has scored 309 runs in this world cup which is most by an associate batsman in a single edition. Previous record – Doeschate – 307 in 2011.