It was time for the Asian battle when Sri Lanka & Bangladesh battled at Melbourne, Australia. Sri Lanka won the toss, opted to bat and completely outplayed Bangladesh.
Openers Thirimanne & Dilshan gave a solid start to Sri Lanka, both completed their fifty and added 122 runs opening stand before Thirimanne was dismissed on 52 in 25th over.
Then Dilshan was joined by mighty Sangakkara who was playing his 400th ODI that too against his favourite opposition. He grabbed this oppotunity with both hands and started hitting the Bangladesh bowlers all over the park from the very beginning. First Dilshan reached his 21st ODI century, 3rd in World Cup. Then Sangakkara chose the maximum way and made this 400th ODI special as he scored his 22nd ODI ton, his also 2nd in World Cup.
They fetched 115 runs in last 10 overs and added humongous 210 runs for 2nd wicket in just 155 balls. Dilshan & Sangakkara remained unbeaten on 161(146) & 105(76) respectively and took their team to the huge total of 332.
While chasing 333, Bangladesh got the worst possible start when Malinga bowled out Tamin Iqbal on the second ball of the innings. As always, Bangladesh top order collapsed dramatically and they were 5 down on 100 in 21 overs. Again responsibility came to Shakib & Rahim but this time, even they failed to do the job.
They added 64 runs before Shakib was caught out on 46. Rahim tried to handle the situation with Shabbir Rehman, but he also got bowled out on 36 while trying to hit the ball as asking rate went around 12 in last 10 overs.
Shabbir Rehman gave Bangladesh fans something to smile as he scored his first ever ODI fifty and also avoided 100+ runs loss for Bangladesh. They fought till 47th overs before Malinga wraped them up with 2 wickets and Sri Lanka won the match by 92 runs.
Man of the Match – Tillakaratne Dilshan
Stats of this match –
- It was 38th ODI between Sri Lanka & Bangladesh in which Lankan Lions are ahead with 33-4 while 1 ended with no result.
- It was 3rd world cup contest between these 2 teams in which Sri Lanka won all the matches.
- Sangakkara became only 4th player after Sachin, Jayasuriya & Jayawardene to play 400 ODI matches.
- It was the 100th ODI of Thisara Perera & also 100th ODI of Sri Lanka in Australia.
- Thirimanne scored his 11th fifty in his inning of 52(78).
- It was the first time when two batsmen (Dilshan & Sangakkara) of visiting team scored hundreds in an inning at MCG.
- 161* – Dilshan scored his highest ODI score, previous best, 160* vs India (2012). Previous World Cup best, 144* vs Zimbabwe (2011).
- Sangakkara has 1206 runs against Bangladesh in ODIs, most by any batsman against Bangladesh. He scored 5 tons and also has Avg of 48.24 against Bangladesh.
- Dilshan scored 22 fours in his innings which is most by any batsman without hitting a six.
- 210* runs stand between Sangakkara & Dilshan is the 3rd 200+ runs stand for Sri Lanka in World Cups and Dilshan is involved in all three. Before this, he added 282 & 231* with Tharanga in 2011.
- Sri Lanka with 3 200+ runs World Cup stands is jointly 2nd highest with Australia. Record is with India – 5 stands.
- World Cup 2015 witnessed 7 innings of 125+ by batsmen in just 18 matches. Record in a World Cup is 8 in 1996 & 2003. 31 matches still to go in this world cup.