The POOL A contest between Sri Lanka & Scotland took place in Hobart, Australia. Winning the toss, Sri Lanka opted to bat first. They lost Thirimanne early but then Dilshan & Sangakkara display some beautiful piece of batting & put a solid stand of 195 runs for 2nd wicket.
Dilshan 104 (99) scored his 22nd ODI ton and Sangakkara 124 (95) created history at Hobart with his 25th ODI ton as he became the first batsman to smash 4 ODI tons in consecutive innings. When they both were playing, even 400+ was achievable but when Dilshan went out in 35th over on the team score of 216, Sri Lanka struggled in making partnerships. It was Matthews who played a brilliant knock of 50 off 21 balls with 1 four & 6 sixes. Inspite of failure of other batsmen and with the help of two hundreds & a quick fifty, Sri Lanka posted scored 363 runs for 9 wickets.
Chasing the total, Scotland got the worst possible start when they were reduced to 44/3 in 12 overs. Mommsen & Coleman gave a fight to some extent. They both scored fifties & added 118 runs for 4th wicket. Apart from them, no Scotish batsman was able to put a fight and they bundled on 215. Chameera & Kulasekara took 3-3 wickets & Malinga took 2 wickets.
Man of the match – Kumar Sangakkara
Stats of the match –
- Dilshan scored his 4th World Cup hundred, 2nd in this edition.
- Sangakkara scored his 5th World Cup hundred, 4th in this edition.
- Sangakkara became the first batsman in ODI history to score 4 tons in consecutive innings.
- Sangakkara became the first visiting batsman to score 5 ODI tons in Australia.
- Sangakkara bacame the first batsman to score 1000+ Int. Runs in 2015. He was first to do so in 2014 also.
- Matthews scored 50 in 20 balls, fastest by a Sri Lankan in world cups and joint 2nd fastest in world cup history.
Sangakkara now holds the record of most dismissals in World cup (54), broke Gilchrist’s record of 52.